Saturday, August 13, 2011

I Wanna Ride Batman!!



Tim is spending the day with Lauren at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey!  He's been texting me photos of super hero inspired roller coasters like Superman: Ultimate Flight.   This coaster looks SCARY but I'm still kind of attracted to it!  Why?  Well, I love Superman.  I love comic book superheros!  But ultimately, I'm not a roller coaster fan so I'd probably never get on Superman: Ultimate Flight.  I just don't like the feeling of my stomach sinking as the coaster decends a drop and then goes into a roll.  Ugh.

This isn't to say that I hate all thrill rides!  I actually love simulator rides.  My favorites include Mission: Space at Epcot and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal Studios, Florida.  These rides give me the thrill and exhilaration that some people get out of roller coasters without actually dropping me 60 feet or making me feel like I might die.   They actually do much more than that-- they immerse me in a totally believable adventure.  It's easy to believe that you are really flying on a broomstick behind Harry chasing a dragon!   And Harry Potter isn't the only hero with a cool simulator ride at Universal Studios.  The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman is another top notch ride and it has comic book appeal as well.  I've never been the biggest Spiderman fan though.  Don't get me wrong-- I read Spiderman comics as a kid but I was always much more into Batman.  But there is no Batman simulator ride at Universal.  This is mainly due to the fact that Universal Studios has a contract with Marvel (now owned by Disney) for their characters (Spiderman, Captain America, Hulk, Ironman).  Batman and his "super friends" like Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman are all DC / Warner Bros. characters.

As far as I know, here in the US you can only find the DC characters in Six Flags parks.  Six Flags is known for their gut dropping / death defying roller coasters and NOT for simulator rides.  So instead of a Harry Potter or Spiderman like ride, there are only Batman Roller coasters like Batman: The Ride and The Dark Knight Coaster (both at Six Flags in New Jersey).   I did some internet research, however, and found that there IS a Batman simulator ride out there in the world!  Batman Adventure: The Ride 2 can be found at Warner Brothers Movie World in Austrailia!  Check out the video below of this really cool attraction!  The best part is that you're riding in a batwing piloted by Batgirl!!!  I wish I could ride it SO BAD!  But I'll just have to settle for watching Batman: The Animated Series (I just picked up season 1 on DVD).  Here is a bit of trivia.  The voice of Batman that you'll hear in the ride video below is Kevin Conroy.  He has voiced Batman since the early 90's and is best known for Batman: The Animated Series!  :)

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEKcAFVncKU]

No comments:

Post a Comment