Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I Don't Read (A Therapy Session in Blog Form)

I'm going to treat this blog entry like a therapy session.  Get ready.

I'm currently in the 10th week of a performance run at work.  It's a simple show and doesn't demand much of the crew.  We come in 90 minutes prior to curtain, spend about 5-10 minutes setting up and then we have time to kill.  The rest of the crew fill this time reading.  Currently they're all re-reading the Harry Potter books while I've been reading Batman: Court of Owls.  I never picked up the New 52 Batman series so now I'm catching up.

The other day someone asked if I'd read any of... some author.... I don't remember who.  I said "No." But then decided to be more honest and admit "I don't really read.  And when I do, it's usually comic books."  She looked SHOCKED.  She'd just assumed that since I'm a geek that I'm an avid reader.  I mean, it's true-- most geeks consume sci-fi and fantasy books like crazy.  But I've never read the Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, the Narnia books, Twilight, Stephen King novels.... just to name a few.  I started the first Harry Potter book but didn't finish it.  Same thing goes for Wicked.  I didn't even get out of the 1st chapter.  I have finished a few Star Trek novels and a hand full of other random non-fiction books and biographies.  

For years friends have suggested authors to me, insisted that I borrow books, and bought me books as gifts-- always saying "I know you Mike, you're going to love this book!  You won't be able to put it down!"  But invariably I do put it down.

I'm not proud of this fact.  Honestly, I used to lie about not reading.  I used to always have a book in my bag, one of my night stand, a full bookcase at home-- all because I wanted to be seen as someone who reads.  A few years ago I finally took my copy of Wicked out of my bag because I realized how torn up it was getting by being carried around all the time.  And the bookmark (now bent and torn) was still sticking out of chapter 1.

Anyway-- my point is I don't really read but I feel like I should, ya know?  I want to be a reader.  So what's stopping me?  Why don't I read more?   Let's take some time to explore some possible reasons.

  1. I get distracted by my own thoughts.  Sometimes when I'm reading a find that haven't been paying attention.  I have to go back and re-read paragraphs because it's like I wasn't listening.  
  2. I'm used to multi-tasking.  When I watch TV or a movie at home I'm also on the computer, surfing the web, writing blog posts like this, or working a project.  When I listen to podcasts or books on tape I'm also cleaning the house, scrapbooking, or driving.  But when I read I really can't do anything but read.  It's hard to fight the impulse to get up and fix a snack, check Facebook, throw the dog's ball... etc.  
  3. This is related to #2, but I have a full on internet addition.  I have a bunch of e-books for my iPad but I can't ignore the "new mail" sound or the urge to flip to Tweetbot or Facebook and see what's going on in the world.  
  4. Comic Books are a faster read and have a visual element that I really enjoy.  (Tumblr also feeds this desire for visual stimulation btw)
  5. I find that I constantly check the clock.  Like when I'm reading I can't tell how fast time is passing.  Then I end up setting goals like "I'll read for 15 more minutes"-- then I look at my watch every 30 seconds like I'm going to be late.  I have no idea why I do this. 
  6. If I've seen the movie it's really hard to read the book.  I can't get Daniel Radcliff's face out of my head when I'm reading Harry Potter.  And I constantly think "Was this in the movie?"  Then I end up just putting down the book and popping in the DVD.  
  7. I'm a slow reader.  Or at least I feel like I'm a slow reader.  When I read I typically hear the words  in my head like a voiceover narrator is saying them-- basically I read at the speed that Morgan Freeman speaks.  
  8. I have to fight the urge to move my lips.  I definitely move my tongue as if I'm speaking the words.   This instinct makes me feel stupid-- like only people who lack intelligence move their lips when they read.  
  9. To be honest, 6 & 7 are probably related to my undiagnosed (or self-diagnosed) dyslexia.  I have been known to flip words-- especially when I'm "on book" in rehearsal feeding lines to an actor.  I have to be very careful to read the exact line and not change it.   I know I don't have a very strong reading disorder or anything-- I just flip words sometimes.  
  10. I'm lazy.  #truth
  11. Listening to audio books is so much easier!  And if I listen to an audio book I still credit myself for having read the book.  Is that a lie?
  12. I get motion sick if I try to read on the subway or in any moving vehicle- so audio books are better there.  
Hmm... those seem to be the only reasons I can come up with.  #10 might be the real culprit.  Maybe I should stop writing this and load a book onto my iPad and read it!


Do have have any thoughts?  Comments on what I should read (or try to read)?  Advice on how I can get over some of these hurtles?  Leave a comment below or e-mail me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment