Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Harry Potter and the 35 Year Old's Realization

The other day I noticed a co-worker reading a well worn copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.   I asked her if she was enjoying it and she told me she'd decided to re-read the series this Summer because she loves them so much-- which I totally understand.  Then she showed me that some scribblings on the side of the book.  "You can see my handwriting on the side" she said.  "This is my copy from 3rd grade."  I was stopped in my tracks - my mouth fell open.  Without thinking I said "OH MY GOD YOU'RE THAT YOUNG!"

You see, I know that Harry Potter books are children's literature.  But plenty of adults read them too.  In fact, I know all my friends were reading them during and after college.  But it hadn't occurred to me that the books came out so long ago that the kids who grew up reading Harry Potter are now adults!  I had to look up the dates.

The first Harry Potter book (The Philosopher's Stone) was published in June of 1997 about a month after I graduated from high school.  It's described on the web as being written on a 5th grade reading level.  So let's use that as our base.  A 5th grader is what, 10 years old?  So, someone who was in 5th grade when the 1st book came is now... 27 years old?!  Is that right??

Things that make me feel old?  This blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment