Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Got Legos for Christmas!!

A few weeks back I was shopping in Myrtle Beach with my parents when we came upon a toy store that sold Lego playsets.   This reminded me of a sore spot from my childhood.  I had once asked for Legos for Christmas but by Mom told me that "Legos are a pain!  Those tiny pieces will get lost in the carpet then mess up the vacuum cleaner!"  So instead of legos I got some pretty kick ass Thundercats figures and my very own Sword of Omens!  My little kid brain quickly forgot about my desire for legos since I was so happy with my other toys.  But later in life I'd occasionally get jealous of my friend's Lego masterpieces that they've saved over the years.  (Yes I have those kind of friends).    But I never asked my Mom for them again because I knew in my heart of hearts that she was right.  We had a thick shag carpet in our house-- dark green, light green, gold, & beige in splotches.  It was probably the ugliest carpet I've ever seen but it could hide a Kool-Aid stain and would surely also hide that essential Lego piece that would just ruin my Castle playset.

During this shopping trip I jokingly  reminded Mom about my desire for Legos as a child.  I said to her: "Remember how I always wanted legos but 'No, they'll get in the carpet' you used to tell me?" She didn't remember this but said that it sounds like something she would say and we laughed about it.  Fast forward to  yesterday when my parents and I exchanged gifts.  Guess what was waiting for me under the tree?  It was a lego playset!!   It was a small kit was for a speedboat with a cool little driver!  I didn't hesitate to tear open the box and packaging and spread all the tiny pieces out on the living room carpet and start building!  :) Mom thought it was hilarious and I couldn't be happier.


1 comment: