Thursday, September 29, 2011

Star Trek TNG in HD!

A while back I heard that CBS/Paramount was planning to release Star Trek The Next Generation on Blu-ray.  I wasn't too excited about this news since I've only owned the DVD's for a a year and a half.  I love the DVD's and am more sure I'm ready to go thru the expense of replacing them with Blu-ray so soon.  Plus, now that it's all on Netflix streaming it's easy for me to get my Trek fix while I'm on the road with no discs to lug around.

So, I don't have any plans to run out and buy this new edition-- but I do have to admit it's tempting.   They've completely remastered the show & cleaned it up for this new set.  I be it will look AMAZING!   According to the official press release:
Transferring STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® to high-definition presented numerous challenges – The series was originally shot on film and then transferred to videotape, which was used to edit episodes together.  In order to create true HD masters, CBS is going back to the original uncut film negative – all 25,000 plus film reels of it – and cutting the episodes together exactly the way they originally aired. The visual effects were all shot on film and will be painstakingly recompositioned, not upconverted from videotape. The newly cut film will then be transferred to true high-definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. Denise and Mike Okuda are consulting on the project.

So, like I said... I'm not running out to buy them any time soon... but I might eventually own them.  :)

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av35kFHdS50]

No comments:

Post a Comment