Thursday, August 16, 2012

Honeymoon Plans + Star Trek: The Exhibition!

Hello friends and blog buddies!   As many of you know, my summer work is coming to and end.  Fingers and Toes closes this weekend at the Merry Go Round Playhouse's Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival.  Next up on my schedule?  OUR HONEYMOON!!   My husband Tim and I got married in May but couldn't take our honeymoon right away because I had to get back to work.  But now we're packing up and go to Walt Disney World for 7 days followed by a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas on the Disney Dream and then capped off with 2 days at Universal Studios / The Wizarding World of Harry Potter  and.... a visit to Star Trek: The Exhibition!

Now, obviously Star Trek: The Exhibition is the smallest venue on the docket.  But I'm no less excited about it.  From what I've read it's a small museum exhibit at 7220 International Drive in Orlando that contains a replica of the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek: The Original Series, several captain's chairs and a selection of other props and costume pieces from the franchise.   I absolutely can't wait to sit in the center seat on the bridge!!  Sadly, I have read that they don't allow photography.  But if there is an option to buy a photo, I'll be sure to do it and  post whatever photos I do end up with either on here or on Facebook. :)

I've wanted to go to Star Trek: The Exhibition ever since it's original debut back in 2008 in Long Beach, CA.  Now that Exhibition was HUGE!  Since then the collection has been split into 3 different shows that can be on tour at the same time.   Most recently these were at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida and the St. Louis Science Center in Missouri.    We almost went to see the show in at the Kennedy Space Center last September on our last trip to Walt Disney World but it just didn't work out logistically.  It's all water under the bridge now, but I hear that it was a great exhibit and very cool to actually be at NASA.  But since that exhibit closed, the license for "Star Trek: The Exhibition" was sold by CBS Consumer Production to EMS Exhibits.  It's EMS that is hosting this smaller Orlando exhibit.

I know some people who work in the world of traveling museum exhibits like the King Tut show that was in the Times Square Discovery Center a couple years ago and the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit that was just there last year.  It's an interesting world.  They have Stage Manager type show producers who oversee all the details of the load in, set up, and running of the space.  It's almost like being a museum curator-- attention to detail is a must!   In any case, I hope that these EMS people do a good job with the license.  I REALLY hope that they bring it to New York City so I can go over and over! :)   Since the closing of Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas-- an amusement park like attraction formerly at the Las Vegas Hilton, these museum exhibits are all we trekkies have!

In related news, a brave Trekkie has rescued a replica of the Enterprise D bridge from the dumpster out in California and is trying to raise money to restore it!  He hopes that the fully restored bridge set can go on display for fans.  :)  That sounds like an amazing idea!!

1 comment:

  1. [...] I mentioned in the previous entry, one of the stops on our honeymoon was at  Star Trek: The Exhibition in Orlando [...]

    ReplyDelete